Following the official signing ceremony on 22 January 2020, Worley has been appointed by Group Technology, a division of Sasol South Africa (Pty) Ltd, as the engineering contractor partner. The five-year agreement will see Worley providing engineering, procurement and construction services for Sasol’s capital projects portfolio, including efficiency improvement and environmental initiatives, from front-end engineering design to project completion.
Worley’s Energy & Chemicals Services business in South Africa, jointly owned by Worley and Matasis Investments, offers global expertise to help energy, chemicals and power customers develop, build and maintain technically complex facilities. As a leading global provider of professional project and asset services in the energy, chemicals and resources sectors, Worley has the capacity and expertise to offer Sasol superior portfolio management and project delivery. The company’s approach to project execution focuses on innovation and best practices, and includes systems and tools to drive safety and efficiency throughout all phases of project delivery.
Frans Oosthuizen, Worley’s Southern Africa Senior Business Development Manager for E&C Services, says that the engineering contractor partnership with Group Technology will enable Worley to make a significant impact on Sasol’s project execution performance in the country and empower the business to help shape and improve the engineering and construction landscape in South Africa.
As Sasol’s engineering contractor partner, Worley will not only be closely collaborating with local companies in the South African design and construction industry, but will also provide training and upskilling for young graduates and artisans. “Worley will play an important role in developing talent in the local market. This includes working with our various construction and supplier partners to develop young engineering and artisan talent to advance their career opportunities and supply the industry with needed skills.”
Having successfully worked with Sasol as a long-term contributor to its project delivery operations, Worley has a deep understanding of the company’s culture and requirements. Worley’s existing presence on site in Secunda will ensure a smooth and effective transition towards a mature partnership.
Further strengths that Worley brings to the partnership include:
- A safety culture, aligned with Sasol’s, underpinning the importance of taking safety home and based on a common goal and mutual understanding that nobody gets hurt.
- The ability to offer a global partnership with local delivery. Worley’s partnership model is designed to bring the best of Worley global to South Africa. This includes collaboration with offices in Europe, consultancy services under the Advisian brand, as well as global integrated delivery via a dedicated team at Worley India.
- A drive towards innovation and continuous improvement to enhance efficiency and performance.
- Long-term commitment, including personal commitments by Worley executives to actively participate in partnership oversight.
- By selecting and overseeing contractors and suppliers, and sharing tools and systems, Worley will provide consistent and uniform project delivery. This will ultimately lead to synergy savings and improved capital efficiency, while supporting improved performance by the local design and construction industry.
- Capex savings for Sasol through competitive and cost-effective project delivery that draws on Worley’s extensive global procurement capabilities and knowledge of high value suppliers in multiple locations.
Ed Hanbidge, Worley’s Vice President for Energy & Chemicals Services in Southern and Eastern Africa, says the company is excited to share the best of their global partnership experience with Sasol, while forging a partnership model based on the fundamental principles of trust, integrity and commitment.
Partnership Executive Sponsor and Energy & Chemicals Services Group President, Vinayak Pai, adds that Worley is fully committed to Sasol and to this partnership. “As Executive Sponsor, and as a trusted partner to Sasol, we will successfully implement and grow this partnership, setting new standards in terms of project delivery, innovation and transformation within the South African industry.”
Worley is the largest energy, chemicals and resources services company in the world, setting itself apart by focusing on establishing and maintaining long-term, preferred relationships with its customers. Operating in over 50 countries worldwide, and with over 35 years of experience in South Africa, Worley’s global expertise coupled with a deep understanding of the country’s unique challenges will enable the company to tailor solutions that will deliver maximum value to Sasol.
Click here to read original article