Nominees for Women in Construction Awards announced
To recognise the contribution of female professionals to Africa’s built environment, the African Construction and Totally Concrete Expos, in conjunction with the Department of Public Works, present the 2nd annual Women in Construction Excellence Awards to be hosted at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa, on Wednesday, 28 May 2014.
Now in their second year, the awards celebrate the expanded role of women and drive diversity in the construction industry. They honour women who have pioneered the development of the African built environment and recognise the emerging leaders of the industry. Last year, Busi Legodi, General Manager at PPC South Africa and Elizabeth O’Leary, Executive
Director of Khuthaza, won the Women in Construction Excellence awards.
This year, a total of three awards will be handed out for the categories industry transformation, emerging excellence and African project leader. After a first round of reviews, the Women in Construction Excellence awards team have now published a list of shortlisted nominations:
1. Mrs. Azeb Asnake, CEO of Ethiopian Electric Power(EEP), Ethiopia
2. Ms Charmaine Botha, Owner, ROBBERG READY-MIX, South Africa
3. Mrs Rose Edwin Daffi, Director of Engineering, Plateau State Polytechnic, Nigeria
4. Ms Laura Hunt, Development Manager, eThekwini Municipality, South Africa
5. Ms Adele Lombard, Structural Engineer, GIBB Consulting Engineers, South Africa
6. Ms Nokulunga Mavuso, Quantity Surveyor, Inyatsi, Swaziland
7. Ms Lijeng Mokoatle, Managing Member, Lettam Building & Civils, South Africa
8. Eng. Farai Mavhiya-Bhiza, Associate Director, Arup Zimbabwe, Zimbabwe
9. Ms Nandipha Nqokoto, Director, Diba Built Environment Solutions, South Africa
10. Mrs Emeso Ojo, Senior Research Officer, Nigerian Building and Road Research Institute, Nigeria
11. Ms Malani Padayachee-Saman, Founder and CEO, Malani Padayachee and Associates (Pty) Ltd, South Africa
These nominations are now being submitted for final assessment by the judging panel. The winners will be announced at the African Construction and Totally Concrete Expo on 28 May at 10h00 at the Sandton Convention Centre in Johannesburg, South Africa.