The South African Council for the Architects Profession (SACAP) will be bringing together 500 South African and international architectural professionals at their annual convention – ‘SOARING 21’ – on 26 August 2021.
SOARING 21 features an impressive line-up of 35 of the brightest minds sharing big ideas to charter a course for the development of the profession in 9 sessions curated against 3 main themes:
- HOW FAR WE HAVE COME: Architecture is one of the most influential professions in the world that offers opportunities to shape and transform the society we live in
- WHERE WE ARE: Rethinking the future for a responsively transformed profession
- HOW FAR WE’LL GO: Forging ahead – harmonising structure, nature and life within the built environment and pushing beyond the boundaries.
Panels and keynotes speakers comprise the best of the industry:
- Dr Luyanda Mpahlwa, Founder & Director, DesignSpaceAfrica
- Mokena Makeka, Founder, Makeka Design Lab
- Jo Noero, Principle, Noero Architecture
- Ruben Reddy, Owner, Ruben Reddy Architects
“SOARING 21 has two key objectives,” explains SACAPs President, Charles Nduku. “We want to inspire and motivate our professionals to become pioneers in bringing about transformation, diversity, leadership and innovation in the built environment. Architecture should play a far more active role in shaping our society to reflect South Africa in all its diversity.”
“We also want to ensure that our profession has a significant seat at the table. Now more than ever, all players from the built environment’s value chain need to be included in driving infrastructure growth and recovery,” continues Nduku. “SOARING 21 is going to be a unique opportunity for us, to have open and meaningful dialogues with our public-sector principals in this regard and an opportunity to showcase the essential service we play in our society…”
A notable assembly of government representation has been confirmed, including:
- Honourable Noxolo Kiviet, Deputy Minister of Public Works and Infrastructure
- Dr Kgosientso Ramokgopa, Head of Infrastructure and Investment Office in the Presidency
- Nana Mhlongo, Interim CEO, Council for the Built Environment
- Nolitha Ntobongwana, Chairperson, Infrastructure Portfolio Committee Parliament
- Khanyisa Qobo, Divisional Manager: Advocacy Division, Competition Commission
Global event organisers, dmg events, have partnered with SACAP on the development and organisation of SOARING 21, which forms part of their 8th annual African Construction Expo, a hub for industry experts, buyers and manufacturers of services and products, who have an interest in Southern Africa’s construction sector.
“The architectural profession is more is more than just the built environment. It’s a representation of who we are and storyteller of our past, present and future. We are honoured to be joining SACAP on this exciting journey to highlight the talent, skills and enormous contributions that the profession makes to the our built environment,” says Devi Paulsen, Vice President of dmg events South Africa.
The interactive programme will be presented digitally and offers CPD accreditation for registered professionals.
Issued by: dmg events: Zara[email protected]
About the organisers:
The South African Council for the Architectural Profession (SACAP) is legally charged to regulate the architectural profession in South Africa by the Architectural Profession Act 2000, Act 44 of 2000. The architectural profession includes professional architects, senior architectural technologists, architectural technologists, draughtspersons, specified categories and candidates in each of the categories of registration, all of whom are required to be registered with SACAP before they can practice architecture. www.sacapsa.com
Ntokozo Masango, Stakeholder Relations Manager: [email protected]
Mobile: 082 327 2169
dmg events is a leading organiser of face-to-face and digital events and a publisher of trade magazines. We aim to positively impact the African economy and community by providing platforms for public and private sector professionals to connect and forge strong relationships that will drive the future of the African continent. In response to current times, dmg events ensures digital access to credible content and connections for professionals unable to attend live events. dmg events has a portfolio of 80 events managed across 11 offices worldwide with two of those offices based in South Africa. The team organises 14 events in Africa, bringing together more than 30 000 professionals from the Construction, Infrastructure, Coatings, Mining, Transport, Food & Beverage, Trade and Hospitality sectors. www.dmgevents.com